By Dr. Samarth Kotasthane, Ayurveda
Diabetes mellitus, commonly known as diabetes, is a metabolic disease which is characterised by high blood sugar levels. Diabetes is caused either because your pancreas (an endocrine gland) isn’t producing enough insulin (Type 1 Diabetes) or because your body is not responding to the insulin very well (Type 2 Diabetes). Insulin is a hormone that metabolizes the sugar in your food into energy. Diabetes is generally considered to be a hereditary condition.
Symptoms of Diabetes:
- Polyuria (excessive urination)
- Polydipsia (excessive thirst)
- Polyphagia (excessive hunger)
- Blurry vision
- Constant headaches
- Excessive sweating
- Itchy skin
Ayurveda For Diabetes-
In Ayurvedic context, Diabetes is often referred to as ‘Maharoga’ because it affects the entire body. Here are a few Ayurvedic treatments which can help a person suffering from diabetes:
- A preparation made from a herb called ‘Chirayata’ consumed once a day can prove to be effective in curing skin disorders which are an outcome of diabetes.
- ‘Amla’ juice mixed with turmeric can be consumed to cure eye tissues which are usually affected by this condition.
- Ayurveda also recommends that one should exclude foods such as rice, potatoes and bananas from their diet to avoid fructose. Include foods such as onion, blackberries and garlic in your daily diet to improve the flow of insulin.
- Fenugreek (methi) seeds soaked in warm water can be consumed as a remedy to cure diabetes.
- Pterocarpus: Commonly known as ‘Vijaysar’, the bark of the ‘pterocarpus’ tree soaked in water overnight can be useful in reducing glucose absorption in the intestines.
- Dhanurasana: It is a popular Yoga exercise in which you have to touch your ankles with outstretched arms while you lie flat on your stomach. This exercise can facilitate the secretion of insulin from the pancreas and aid in lowering blood sugar levels.